Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Cascadian Farms Organic Berry Vanilla Puffs Cereal – A Quick Review!


I was so excited to find the new Cascadian Farms BerryVanilla Puffs Cereal at Meijer last week. I am thankful for Chex, don’t get me wrong, but to have another relatively mainstream option – YES!! And, the fact that it looks like Kix (which my Celiac Kid (CK) asks every time we are at the grocery store “Is Kix gluten free yet?” and I have to respond “no, not really”***) – an added bonus.


CK and I tried it for breakfast and it has become a hit. The flavor is reminiscent of Fruit Loops, but fractionally as sweet. They were tasty both dry out of the box and in milk. The little balls did not turn soggy as they sat in the milk, but were not so crunchy that they seem stale (as some other gluten free cereals seem to be). 


I found it really fun that the purple balls are made from purple corn – there is no food dye in this product! The ingredients:  Whole Grain Purple Corn*, Yellow Corn Meal*, Sugar*, Whole Grain Yellow Corn Meal*, Tapioca Syrup*, Sunflower Oil*, Sea Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Vanilla Extract*, Natural Flavor*, Vitamin E Added to Preserve Freshness.  (*denotes organic ingredient)

Meijer’s regular price per box is $3.29. However, as of this writing (February 4, 2015) – Meijer has it on sale for $2.89. But if you buy 8 boxes, each box is a dollar off and your price per box is $1.89!  We are cereal hoarders around here when it is under $2/box, so eight boxes came home with me from the Field Ertel store. Hopefully they will be restocking so that if any readers go to make a purchase, they can do the same!

***There are no gluten ingredients in Kix, but I contacted General Mills and received a nice response from Corporate, verifying it is not gluten free – only their Chex cereal is. I figured as such, since they are so good about labeling and promoting the Chex line (which we eat by the truckload). I know some gluten-free folk do eat Kix, but for Celiac Kid it’s not an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment